Do you play in your midi with a keyboard only?

The Articles, Tutorials / Tips / Tricks - teach or learn.
The Learning Curve__
User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Do you play in your midi with a keyboard only?

Post by Heigen5 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:47 am

Do you play in your midi with a keyboard only? That's good you have that skill, but....
I would want to warn you, that all the velocity differences and note length differences make it sound a a lot more artifacty then though. If you want a lot cleaner and less interrupted sound, you should just program them instead or recording/playing them in.

I'd recommend this to all those who feel like the sound of your music should sound more cleaner. I'd rather play one or two channels, but the rest of them should be more robotic. + also, your programming can do stuff you can't play that fastly/complicatedly.

I have discovered this phenomenon for decades already and thought to share it here with y'all. :)

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Re: Do you play in your midi with a keyboard only?

Post by Paralytik » Sat May 07, 2022 10:06 pm

This is pretty bad advice I'd say, haha. I don't agree at all.

It's a 100 times faster to play the melodies or chords you want in real time and record.
You can always go in and even out the velocities and quantize stuff afterwards, takes about 10 seconds.

EDIT: I mean, of course both ways of doing it is totally valid, but if someone gets a keyboard, I'd assume they want to learn how to play the keyboard too. The more you play, the better the recordings will be, right? But I guess you speak of more on-grid electronic genres and not things like funk or neo soul, for example. You can't program that and make it sound good.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Wed May 11, 2022 12:50 am

I also play most of my melodies with my keyboard and also record them, but this article stated that all the velocity differences and the timing differences also, make the notes less clear to listen to. And I'm pretty much like sure, that even you ain't fast enough, when something needs to be very fast bro. :satisfied:

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Fri May 13, 2022 6:49 pm

Yeah man, sorry. Nothing personal, hehe.
I just mean that what you're saying is probably very obvious to anyone who has tried recording MIDI, even if they've just done it once. So I guess I should have written that I think this advice is redundant, instead of bad.

Also, I wasn't trying to insinuate I'm a master at playing the keys or anything, hehe. You can't get better at playing without playing though, right? If your song needs something you can't play, of course you want to program it instead.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 pm

Paralytik wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:49 pm
Yeah man, sorry. Nothing personal, hehe.
I just mean that what you're saying is probably very obvious to anyone who has tried recording MIDI, even if they've just done it once. So I guess I should have written that I think this advice is redundant, instead of bad.

Also, I wasn't trying to insinuate I'm a master at playing the keys or anything, hehe. You can't get better at playing without playing though, right? If your song needs something you can't play, of course you want to program it instead.
Sorry for the late reply bro... Well yeah, I think I play/record my midi for 70-80% of times and that's a good thing, because it's a way faster method and why shouldn't one do so, as playing keyboard, also means you perform an instrument. For some stuff though, I use mouse and a pen, because I can't play certain stuff with my keyboard, - usually because, the sequences are too fast to be able to played in or are too complex. But as I said before, sometimes I want my midi to be more robotic and clean, because all the note-length differences and velocity differences in every track make it sound less 'clean'. So while sometimes we want more 'groove' then sometimes it's the opposite. I do both..
But yeah, it's relative and case-sensitive in every track.