Who are your biggest music Idols?

Discussion about the actual music making, preparing to write, mix, produce and tweak etc.
User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Who are your biggest music Idols?

Post by Heigen5 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Hello!

Who are your biggest music idols or influences? Could you post a youtube link to some of it?

I myself enjoy the golden age stuff, when electronic music was at it's bestest imo. So yeah, I'm a huge fan of The Prodigy (Rip Keith), and thank god I went to their Live show before the Keith's death. Their all stuff still is so brilliant. I hope that Liam Howlett and the rest of the band still resumes without Keith as well. I was in a high-school when The Prodigy became famous and yeah, Firestarter became famous at that time. Awesome! And as you know the 'Always outnumbered never outgunned' album was mostly Reason.

Anyway, I also dig The Crystal Method - really good stuff IMO. The Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Daft Punk, Hybrid, Fatboy Slim, Moby .... Well you probably get the picture that what kind of taste I have based on these.
But I don't just listen to these, as I listen to all kinds of stuff, everything goes as long as it has something that gets me inspired.

I even listen to the 90's retro dance/techno.

By the way, as I make my own stuff too, then that's taking all the time away from listening to the elses stuff. But it's ok, I can always ask the listeners to keep me updated, that what is hot in the moment. :)

My pick for the video is this:

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Re: Who are your biggest music Idols?

Post by Paralytik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Oh, this is a hard one. I've been listening to wildly different music throughout my younger years, but lately it has become more bass focused. It mostly goes in old school jungle and drum n' bass, early 2-step and dubstep, UK garage, bassline, juke and footwork, some trap and "post dubstep" (whatever the hell that is) stuff too.

When I was younger, my father mostly listened to reggae (Bob Marley, UB40, that kind of stuff) and my mother listened to soul things and different Swedish artists (like Lisa Ekdahl, Bob Hund, Nina Simone). Then my mom got together with a new dude who is a very good drummer who listens to more rock oriented things (Audioslave, QOTSA, etc). After highschool I listened to more (at that time) commercial trance from a web radio called Radio7. From there I got into the bassier stuff after a while. Original Pirate Material by The Streets for example. I also enjoy neo soul, neo folk, math metal, dark ambient, synth wave, chiptunes, and more! Haha. Don't get me started on microtonal stuff lol.

Dub Phizix, DJ Rashad (and the whole Teklife crew), old Benga and Scream, Orson, Jamie xx, Shackleton, Deadbeat, Jordan Rakei, Meshuggah, Mad Professor (and the other dub geniuses) are the ones I can think of now that inspires me. Flume gets a shoutout too for his remixing skills.

I could probably think of even more people, but this will have to do for now.

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Here's a tune from Lisa Ekdahl, Swedish singer songwriter woman that reminds me of my childhood.

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm

I'd like to add dungeon synth to the list of inspirations I have too, it's kind of folkish and ambient but at the same time very melodic. Aufhocker just released this, worth a check.

User avatar Finland
Heigen5
Site Admin

Post by Heigen5 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Paralytik wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Here's a tune from Lisa Ekdahl, Swedish singer songwriter woman that reminds me of my childhood.
I think I've heard this in other language, not sure. Anyway, nice voice and melody. ;)
Paralytik wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:28 pm
I'd like to add dungeon synth to the list of inspirations I have too, it's kind of folkish and ambient but at the same time very melodic. Aufhocker just released this, worth a check.
Wow, very cool sound and feel to it! Is this Viking music? :)

User avatar Norway
Paralytik

Post by Paralytik » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:42 pm

The sound is very similar to black metal, so I guess you could say it's a bit "viking", hehe.